Saturday, March 3, 2007

Soy-Marinated Roast Chicken Legs


Chicken legs are my favorite part of the chicken. I was excited when I found this recipe for Soy-Marinated Roast Chicken Legs in the Japanese Light cookbook. I made a double batch and used the extra chicken for leftover tacos and in a salad.

It may be a simple concept, but the process patting the chicken dry after marinating and then brushing with oil makes them extra crispy. It was perfect and I learned something new!

Soy-Marinated Roast Chicken Legs

4 chicken legs
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil

for the marinade:
1/3 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons sake
3 tablespoons mirin
4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
2 tablespoons sugar

Make 3-4 incisions on each chicken leg across the muscle tendon to help the marinade penetrate. Put the chicken in a bowl, mix together all the marinade ingredients, and pour over the chicken. Marinate overnight in the refrigerator.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Take the chicken legs out of the marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Mix the vegetable and sesame oils, brush the legs with them and roast for 25-30 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave the chicken inside until you are ready to serve. This way the chicken legs will be juicy and succulent.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Patting the chicken dry after marinating and then brushing with oil to make it extra crispy...thanks for the tip!

Kathryn said...

Hi Rachel

Those chicken legs look scrummy! Really good. I love soy, too. I could just eat one of those: I'm so hungry!

Kathryn

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Rachel, I love the flavors in this marinade! I'll make the chicken for Jeff, and I'll have it with tofu. Great photo!

Anonymous said...

My mouth is watering! These chicken legs look absolutely scrumptious!

Kalyan Karmakar said...

hi, I dropped into ur blog as I was looking for images of chicken legs. I love chicken legs too and will definitely try out your recipe, Kalyan