Sunday, March 18, 2007

#71: Pork Stir Fry with Mangosteens


I was hesitant to try mangosteens after Kate from Kate in the Kitchen had a bad experience with the mangosteen juice she tried. However, I had to press on since I committed to try as many of the F&W 100 Tastes to Try as I can. While I was shopping at the Asian grocery store last week I found a large can of mangosteens, which are listed as #71 on the F&W 100 Taste to Try list.


Mangosteens are an Asian fruit that look like a little plum with a top on it. Since I got them in the can they were already peeled. They have sections like an orange and have a fleshy consistency. I think they taste like very ripe pears. They have a seed inside which is like seed in a mango.


I searched online and found a recipe for Pork Stir-fry with Mangosteens which was originally published by Sunset magazine in 1989. It is really good. The mangosteen holds up well adds a sweet little bite to the stir fry which is a nice change up from the normal stir fry with just meat and veggies.

Pork Stir-fry with Mangosteens
(serves 4)

1 can (1 lb. 4 oz.) mangosteens or longans, packed in syrup
Teriyaki sauce (recipe follows)
3/4 pound boneless pork, such as loin shoulder, or shoulder or butt
2 to 3 tablespoons salad oil
4 green onions (ends trimmed), thinly sliced
1 whole green onion, ends trimmed

Drain fruit; reserve syrup for teriyaki sauce. If made ahead, cover fruit and syrup and chill up to overnight.

Trim off and discard most fat and tough connective tissue from pork. Slice meat across the grain into 1/16- to 1/2-inch-thick strips about 3 inches long. Mix meat strips with teriyaki sauce; cover and chill at least 1 hour, or up to overnight.

Place a wok or 10- to 1 2-inch frying pan over high heat. When hot, add 2 tablespoons oil. Lift 1/2 the meat from teriyaki sauce with a slotted spoon; add to pan. Stir-fry until meat is lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Lift out with slotted spoon and set aside. Repeat to cook remaining pork; add oil to prevent sticking. Add marinade, all meat and juices, fruit, and sliced onion to pan. Stir gently until boiling. Spoon onto a platter; garnish with whole onion. Warn your guests that mangosteen sections may have seeds.

Teriyaki Sauce
Stir together 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/2 cup reserved fruit syrup (preceding; save balance for other uses), 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger, and 1 garlic clove, minced or pressed.


6 comments:

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Hmmm...I'm intrigued. I've never tried mangosteens, so thanks for the explanation and the recipe!

Anonymous said...

That looks yummy!

Glad you had a better experience than I did....I have seen those mangosteens in cans, I may have to re-think this item!

m3rni3 said...

wow .. ive never seen canned mangosteens here in singapore but we have the fresh ones though.

hmm .. and im craving for dat now after looking at your post .. ehehe .. lucky it is in season now!

Anonymous said...

I've tried lychee with chicken as well too! So I know mangosteen with chicken must be good too! Oh, adds a fruity natural flavor to your dish, I bet :D

Madeline said...

Rachel - you are so freaking brave.

Julie said...

I love lychee fruit and mangosteens are very similar.
Have you ever had lychee duck? It's delicious and I'm sure would be just as good with mangosteens.