Sunday, March 4, 2007

Cider-Glazed Scallops


I have died and gone to heaven. Somehow the Cider-Glazed Scallops from The Irish Spirit cookbook are the BEST scallops I have ever eaten in my life. And I have eaten a lot of scallops. These scallops tenderly fried in rich Irish butter tastes like eating crab or lobster with drawn butter sauce. I couldn't help it - I was frying the scallops in batches and while the second batch was cooking I ate four or five scallops from the first batch.

And even better than crab or lobster, the apple cider glaze over the top adds a touch of sweetness that is sublime. The scallops get served over Irish Apple-Potato Cakes and the combo is perfect.

While this meal is quite easy to prepare, I somehow used every single pot in my entire kitchen. Between the boiling of the apples and potatoes and the frying of the scallops and the potato cakes . . . I had my counters covered with every pot, pan and measuring utensil when done. But it was so tasty I didn't care, and I will make these again. But I will have to double the batch because I can eat this entire recipe by myself. I really hope you try this one out because it is amazing!

Look for more Irish recipes at the roundup of St. Patrick's Day: Green or Irish, an international food blogging event hosted by kochtopf.

Cider-Glazed Scallops
Serves 4 as main course

1 cup Irish cider
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 pound sea scallops, rinsed and patted dry
Salt and freshly ground pepper
6 tablespoons unsalted Kerrygold Irish butter
1/4 cup minced fresh sage
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 small Granny Smith apple, unpeeled, cored, sliced and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
Irish Apple-Potato Cakes

In a small saucepan, bring the cider and wine to a boil. Cook stirring frequently, for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the mixture is reduced to about 1/4 cup. Set aside.

Season the scallops with salt and pepper. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. When the butter starts to brown, add the scallops and cook for 2 minutes on each side, or until browned. Remove from the heat, transfer to serving plates, and cover to keep warm.

Return the skillet to the stovetop over medium heat. Melt the remaining 4 tablespoons butter. Stir in the cider mixture, sage, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil, the stir in the apple. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the sauce thickens and the apple pieces are slightly tender. Season again with salt and pepper. Uncover the scallops and spoon the sauce over the top. Serve with the potato cakes.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Saw you in St. Paddy's round-up? Do you think normal cider will work? I don't have Irish cider but do have some cider juice ;p

Rachel Rubin said...

Tigerfish - I couldn't find Irish cider either so I just used regular apple cider. I think it worked just fine. I hope you enjoy it!