Friday, March 30, 2007

Chocolate Tostada with Salt


I recently had salty chocolate for the first time and I adore the combination. Vosges Barcelona Exotic Candy Bar is made with milk chocolate, smoked almonds and gray sea salt. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was amazing! I love salt and add it to lots of different things. So I was really excited to try it when combined with chocolate.

Inspired by that candy bar, I decided to try the Chocolate Tostada with Olive Oil and Salt recipe I found in The New Spanish Table. It is really easy to make and a very interesting little snack which would be fun appetizer at a party. But I confess, I like the candy bar better.

Chocolate Tostata with Olive Oil and Flaky Salt
Tostada de Chocolate con Aceite de Oliva
(serves 4 to 6)

Ingredients:
5 to 6 ounces best-quality bittersweet chocolate (at least 70% cacao), grated

1 piece (9 to 10 inches long and at least 2 inches in diameter) dense, chewy baguette, cut in half lengthwise

Fragrant extra-virgin olive oil

Flaky sea salt, such as Maldon

Instructions:

Preheat the broiler.

Place the chocolate in the top of a double boiler and melt it over simmering water.

Brush the cut side of each baguette half very lightly with olive oil. Broil the bread until golden, watching out that it doesn't burn around the edges. (Alternatively, you can toast the bread.)

Spread the cut side of each baguette half with the melted chocolate, lightly drizzle a little olive oil over the chocolate, and judiciously sprinkle it with salt. Cut each baguette half on the diagonal into roughly 1 1/4-inch pieces and serve at once.


2 comments:

Mar Calpena said...

As a child (I'm from Barcelona), bread with olive oil, salt and chocolate was a common after-school snack. I'm sorry it's one of those things kids don't seem to eat anymore... Your post brought back fond memories (and I'm 33, not talking about the jurassic here)

Rachel Rubin said...

Okay, that's an awesome after school snack! We used to eat ho ho's and potato chips. Majorly processed junk.