Sunday, December 9, 2007

#83: Feta Cheesecake


This Feta Cheesecake always seemed to be one of the most interesting items on Food and Wine's 100 tastes to try in 2007. Coming in at #83, for deserts using pungent cheese, I went so far as to order French feta online while I lived in Florida. Something happened - maybe that was when my back went out - that caused me to not be able to make the cake.

It all worked out for the best though because I got to make it for a family dinner. It really did take about 5 hours from start to finish as I spent most of the day on it. This time I was lucky to find FRESH French Feta at my local Whole Foods Market. It is such a fabulous cheese I will buy it in the future just to munch on.

As you can see by the online recipe, it is not a traditional cheesecake. Instead, you stack a 3-inch square of cheese cake in between two layers of baked phyllo dough. It adds a wonderful flavor and crunch. Top it off with your desired amount of wine-poached date sauce and you are in for a fabulous dessert.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why do you order Feta from France? Feta is a cheese from the Balkans- Bulgaria, Greece, Serbia... The French Feta is an imitation.

Anonymous said...

@ Anonymous (June 6):
There are a variety of fetas, each with very distinctive characteristics. French feta is similar to chevre -- rich and creamy, but with that salty tang of feta. It definitely holds its own. -Emilie