Wednesday, December 12, 2007

#10: Argentine Malbec


It's funny. I have been scared to try Malbec. I bought some early in 2007 because Argentine Malbec is listed as #10 on Food & Wine's 100 tastes to try for the year. While I shopped for wine throughout the year I saw some write ups for other Malbecs and I ended up owning three different bottles.

The first one I dared try was the La Posta which received a Wine Spectator rating of 90.

A heady, ambitious style, with thickly layered black currant paste, fig, cocoa and mocha notes carried by the muscular, well-rounded structure. The finish is long and opulent. Best from 2008 through 2010. 5,000 cases made.


I brought it over to my friend's as a "housewarming" bottle which just meant that we would open it up right away. We drank most of the bottle while noshing on cheese and crackers before we went to dinner at May Street Market. We both enjoyed it a lot and I thought it tasted very similar to a good Pinot Noir. It's not as heavy as a Cabernet. I will say that the La Posta spoiled it a bit for me -- the other two Malbecs that I had since then didn't taste nearly as good. However it was fun to try it because know I know that I will order a malbec while out for dinner.


No comments: