Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Steamed Eggplant with Spicy Miso Dressing


This Steamed Eggplant with Spicy Miso Dressing from the Japanese Light cookbook is a quick and healthy meal. And it was fun for me because I have never made anything with miso before.

I am not sure from the recipe if I was supposed to use regular or Chinese eggplant. I happened to be at the Asian market so I bought two Chinese eggplant because I have not tried them. They are much smaller in size and I had a bunch of extra dressing so I think that I should have purchased regular Italian eggplant.

Didn't I have a really healthy dinner? I had this eggplant and the Shimeji Mushrooms and Ginkgo Nut Parcel. I ate the entire recipe full of eggplant and one parcel of mushrooms. It was neat to eat veggies in a way other than stir-fry.

Steamed Eggplant with Spicy Miso Dressing

2 medium eggplants
1 garlic clove, peeled and grated
1 (1-inch) piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1 shallot, minced
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon medium-colored miso paste
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil

Cut off and discard the eggplant stems and quarter them lengthwise. Soak them in water for 10 minutes to reduce the bitterness. Drain and pat dry with paper towels. Steam the eggplants for 12-15 minutes or until they are soft in the middle. Lay them out flat on a chopping board and fan them to cool down.

Mix together all other ingredients for the dressing. Transfer the eggplant to a serving dish, drizzle with the dressing and serve.


3 comments:

Freya said...

This looks delicious!

Rachel Rubin said...

Freya - It is!

Anonymous said...

Your choice of a Japanese eggplant was a wise one. Italian eggplant has a thicker skin and is more bitter (and wet) without being salted. Japanese eggplants are great to use as is for a lot of things.
Perhaps as they often tend to do in Asian cooking, it was meant to be smothered in the sauce?