Monday, February 19, 2007

Banana-Coconut Soup


A few weeks ago I saw this recipe for Banana-Coconut Soup on Paula's Party on The Food Network. I love that show and watch it on Friday nights if I am home. She had a guest chef present this recipe and he just talked about it instead of making the entire thing. I knew it was the perfect soup to try for February's Focus: Soup's On! hosted by A Veggie Venture.

What I thought was so unique was the use of bananas in this soup. But it doesn't really taste too much like banana. It is really sweet and tastes alot like coconut. I made a big mistake by pouring myself a huge bowl. This soup is definitely meant to be served in cup-size portions. It is really good though and I would have loved to have some really, really spicy shrimp to eat with it. I felt that I'd need something spicy to balance the sweet.

You can find the recipe for Banana-Coconut Soup online at the Food Network website.



6 comments:

Sara said...

Rachel, you find such interesting soup recipes!

Brilynn said...

Mango could be an interesting addition to this soup too... Or some rice and spicy shrimp like you said would be really good.

cookinginkc said...

I saw her make this and thought interesting, but.... You are much more adventurous than me.

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic looking soup recipe!

Rachel Rubin said...

Brilynn - A mango soup sounds really good, but I wouldn't make it with so much coconut cream. It'd be way too sweet. But the rice is a good idea, I can turn the soup kind of into a curry dish with the leftovers since it is kind of thick !

Michael - This soup was not a quick and easy one! You have to chop up a ton of veggies and then puree it all. But it was fun to make since I had plenty of time.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I just love all of the ingredients in this recipe. And what a beautiful bowl of soup!