Monday, February 26, 2007

Sliced Tuna Soft Tacos


When preparing the Seared Tuna Steak with Daikon this weekend I decided not to cook all the tuna at once. I have a bad habit of that. I know I can never eat all the food in the recipe and I want to half it, but I forget that at shopping time! So I ended up with way more tuna than I would eat at one setting. Perfect for Leftover Tuesdays which I am hosting this month.

At first I planned to make another Japanese dish with the leftover tuna. I had my eye on another recipe in the Japanese Light cookbook. But I changed my mind and decided to make the Sliced Tuna Soft Tacos which I found in the March, 2007 issue of Every Day with Rachael Ray magazine.

Of course I could have thrown together my own version of tacos, but I was intrigued by the one featured in this issue. It is made with cabbage! I like cabbage every now and then. But I've never had it in tacos before. Also, the spice blend used as a rub on the tuna is very different from what I prepared the other night. The tacos were very flavorful. I really enjoyed the combination of cabbage and tuna together with the spices.

There is an avocado, cream and lime sauce which is part of the recipe which I am on the fence about. The lime and creamy factor was really nice and added a bit of zip. But I didn't really taste the avocado. Maybe mine weren't ripe enough. I'm also not a big fan of making a fuss with a sauce in a food processor and all that. It was an impressive addition, but I probably would not make it again.

Find the recipe for Sliced Tuna Soft Tacos on the Every Day with Rachael Ray Magazine website.


3 comments:

FH said...

Tuna looks delicious and in a Taco!How creative :)

Madeline said...

I saw that recipe and wasn't brave enough to try it! And I understand exactly what you mean about making sauces - it's gotta be really good for me to take the time to clean the food processor afterwards.

tigerfish said...

Oh, that tuna look so delish! It slipped your mind and you ended up with more tuna.
My impulse buying habits during grocery shopping always lands me in more ingredients I need(and originally plan for). But this sometimes pushes me to be more "creative" when my mind goes through a massive iterative loop of what to use, what's new to use and what to cook ;D

Thanks for hosting Leftover Tuesdays!