Thursday, February 7, 2008

Dinner for a Chinese New Year


I made a small feast for dinner tonight. My CSA box contained bok choy and snow peas so I found two recipes to use these fresh vegetables. Since it is Chinese New Year's I turned to My China and Simple Chinese Cooking by Kylie Kwong. She is one of my favorite Asian cookbook authors.

The shrimp in the picture is with a packaged sauce that I got at the Asian market. Basically just stir fry the shrimp with the sauce. But with the veggies I got to make my own sauces. I love playing with Asian ingredients and I think they both turned out well.

Stir-Fried Snow Peas with Garlic

2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1/2 tsp. sea salt
8 oz. snow peas, trimmed
4 garlic cloves, roughly crushed
1/2 tsp. brown sugar
1/2 cup chicken stock or water
1/4 tsp. sesame oil

Heat vegetable oil in a hot wok until surface seems to shimmer slightly. Add salt and snow peas and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add garlic and stir-fry for 1 minute, stirring constantly to ensure garlic does not burn. Add sugar and stir-fry for 10 seconds.

Pour in stock or water and simmer for 2 minutes or until snow peas are tender. Lastly, stir through sesame oil and serve immediately.



Bok Choy with Oyster Sauce

1 bunch bok choy, cores removed
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 Tbsp. oyster sauce
dash of sesame oil
1 Tbsp. peanut oil

Separate bok choy leaves and wash thoroughly.

Fill a large saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Stir vegetable oil, add bok choy and simmer until bok choy i sbright green and tender - this should take about 1 minute. Using tongs, immediately remove bok choy from water and place on a platter. Drizzle with oyster sauce and sesame oil.

Heat peanut oil in a small frying pan until moderately hot and carefully pour over bok choy. Serve immediately.



No comments: