Friday, January 11, 2008

Slow-Cooker Sausage and Vegetable Risotto


I was really intrigued by this recipe for Slow-Cooker Sausage and Vegetable Risotto I found in the November, 2007 issue of Food and Wine Magazine. I absolutely love risotto, but I HATE standing over the hot stove stirring the rice. All the steam comes up in my face and I end up a big sweat box. So the thought of doing some prep work and then letting it all cook by itself in the slow-cooker was very novel to me. I was doubtful though . . . would the slow cooker turn out good risotto? Would it be moist enough? Would the rice end up tough?

The risotto turned out perfect! I was so excited that it turned out so well. It was rich and creamy just how risotto is supposed to be. I hope I can learn how to adapt other risotto recipes to be made in my slow cooker!

Slow-Cooker Sausage and Vegetable Risotto
6 servings

4 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth

3/4 pound sweet Italian sausages, casings removed

3 tablespoons water

5 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 small onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice

2 cups arborio rice (14 ounces)

1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch dice

1 tablespoon kosher salt

5 cups baby spinach (5 ounces)

3/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving

Freshly ground pepper

Turn a 6- to 7-quart slow cooker to high. In a saucepan, bring the broth to a simmer. In a skillet, cook the sausage with the water over moderately high heat, breaking it up with a spoon until the water has evaporated and the sausage is browned, 10 minutes. Transfer the sausage to the slow cooker.

In the same skillet, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until the wine is reduced by half, 2 minutes. Stir in the rice and cook until all of the wine has been absorbed. Scrape the rice into the slow cooker. Add the hot broth, zucchini and salt and cover. Cook for 1 hour, stirring once halfway through. The risotto is done when the rice is al dente and most of the liquid has been absorbed. Turn off the slow cooker.

Stir the spinach into the risotto until just wilted. Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and the grated cheese, season with pepper and serve immediately, passing additional cheese at the table.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great recipe share Rachel! Personally I don't mind the labor involved in making risotto but I do have a new slow cooker and this sounds like a great meal to test it out with.

Alli said...

ooh--this looks great. i even happen to have that issue of food&wine lying around. since i just received a slow cooker as a holiday gift, i'm going to have to try this! thanks for the tip :-)

Anonymous said...

The only thing I would like to know is how much sodium,colorestrol and fat is the result of your risotto? I Love risotto but have heart problems and have to be careful. You could also add mushrooms and parmesan cheese to get a real taste of italian

Anonymous said...

We let our housekkepers out for the night so I could make this Risotto for Milburn. Why he loved it! And so did I. It has a certain flavor it can call its own. You can up the spinich a few ounces more. BTW.