Monday, January 7, 2008

Dramatically Seared Green Beans wtih Garlic and Chiles


I found some good recipes in the January/February 2008 issue of Vegetarian Times. This green bean recipe seemed very easy and I was looking for a side dish to go with my Hot and Sweet Tilapia so I decided to make it. It went together very quickly - the hardest part was trimming the green beans. I was a bit concerned about all of the oil, but the beans didn't soak it all up and there was a bunch left it the bottom of my wok. Watch the red pepper though, I only added 1/4 tsp. and it was still pretty spicy.

Dramatically Seared Green Beans with Garlic and Chiles
Serves 4

2 Tbsp. canola or peanut oil
1 lb. green beans, trimmed
3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
1/4 tsp. to 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes, optional

Heat large, deep skillet or wok 2 minutes over medium heat. Add oil, and swirl to coat pan. Increase heat to high, wait 30 seconds, then add green beans and a big pinch of salt. Cook 3 minutes shaking the pan or using tongs to turn and move beans so they cook quickly and evenly. Stir in garlic and red pepper flakes, if desired, and cook 1 minute more, stirring constantly, or until beans are crisp-tender.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I made these for Thanksgiving. So easy, so quick and so good! Its one of the more healthy things we had on the table. I will definitely make them this way from now on!