Monday, January 7, 2008

Hot and Sweet Grilled Tilapia


I had a taste for tilapia tonight and lucky for me my local Whole Foods had some really fresh fish available for me. I saw this recipe for Hot and Sweet Grilled Tilapia in Padma's book Tangy Tart Hot and Sweet, when I was making veal the other day. It seemed so simple though I went searching for different recipes in my other cookbooks. I couldn't believe how few recipes there are for tilapia - I only found one other version I'd consider but I decided to stick to Padma's and give her cookbook another try.

This recipe calls for grilling but I did not want to deal with the outdoor grill so I just broiled the fish 3 minutes each side. I can't believe how good this tasted! So light and fresh. The sauce wasn't over-powering gave the fish a "lip-smacking" taste. We couldn't get enough of it. It's very healthy too (especially if you substitute the sugar in the sauce) so I recommend anyone on a diet to give this a try.

Hot and Sweet Grilled Tilapia
Serves 4

4 6-ounce tilapia fillets
olive oil
salt
freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp. fresh-squeezed lime juice
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. minced fresh ginger
1 tsp. minces fresh green chili (optional)

Take the fillets out of the fridge 1/2 hour prior to grilling. Brush them on both sides with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Brush the grill with olive oil as well, and heat until very hot. The grill should be 2 inches from the heat source.

Combine the lime juice, sugar, ginger, and a pinch of salt, and chili (optional) in a bowl.

Place the fish on the grill and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or just until the fish begins to flake. Place the fillets on a plate, and pour the lime and sugar mixture over them. Serve immediately.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

made this tonight. really, really good. thanks...