Thursday, March 4, 2010

Brothy Chinese Noodles


Brothy. Chinese. Noodles. Three yummy words - especially when they are all together. I think this recipe was highlighted as of the "must make" recipes in the January / February 2010 issue of Eating Well magazine, so of course I complied.

I wasn't clear, and am still not clear, about what "dried Chinese noodles" really are. After going back and forth between a few different options, I picked up something called Pancit Canton (wheat noodles) which are some yellow Filipino noodles that came in a 16 oz. package and used half of it. It came out great so it's quite convenient that I have this other half already because I plan to make this again soon.

The spicy sesame oil was a bit hard to find as well. I ended up getting a tiny bottle at Whole Foods that cost about $10. But that's okay because it's a really nice flavor and I'm sure I'll use a splash with other things that I want to add a little heat too. And because of this oil this dish does come out a bit on the spicy side, which I love but might be a little hot for those adverse to spicy food.

Brothy Chinese Noodles
Serves 6

2 tablespoons hot sesame oil (see Note), divided
1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
1 bunch scallions, sliced, divided
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup water
3 cups thinly sliced bok choy
8 ounces dried Chinese noodles (see Note)
3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 small cucumber, sliced into matchsticks, for garnish

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add ground turkey, all but 2 tablespoons of the scallions, garlic and ginger and cook, stirring and breaking up the turkey, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.

Add broth, water, bok choy, noodles, soy sauce, vinegar and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Bring to a boil over medium-high. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the noodles are tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Return the turkey mixture to the pan and stir to combine. Serve garnished with the reserved 2 tablespoons scallions and cucumber (if using).


No comments: