Tuesday, November 13, 2007

#48: Syrah from South Africa


Since we were eating a dinner filled with recipes from my favorite African cookbook, The Soul of a New Cuisine by Marcus Samuelsson, I figured it would be a good time to try #48 on Food and Wine's 100 Tastes to try for 2007: Syrah from South Africa.

I could not find one of the five suggested wines, but I was able to find 2005 Porcupine Ridge Syrah from Cape of Good Hope South Africa.

We all really enjoyed this wine. It was nice and light, but it did leave a little bit of a deep taste lingering. Wine.com lists the winemaker notes for 2005 Porcupine Ridge Syrah as:

A rich warm ruby colour with generous viscosity combines with our typical spicy, aromatic profile. This wine is dominated by spicey tones yet supported by dark fruit flavours. The palate is generous and extends to a lengthy finish with the focus being on fruit profile as opposed to oaking detail. Drink now or enjoy over next 3 – 5 years.


I did enjoy it and I wish I ordered a few more bottles!


No comments: