Thursday, November 22, 2007

#99: Le Demon Vert


I specifically purchased The Art of the Bar: Cocktails Inspired by Classics just because Le Demon Vert was listed as #99 on Food & Wine's 100 Tastes to Try. I also don't have a cocktail recipe book and I thought this would be a fun on to add to my collections. I'm not sure if all cocktail books are like this or not, but this particular book has a lot of random ingredients in the drinks. It can get really expensive to buy all these different types of liquor. I spent about $50 on the fixin's to be able to make Le Demon Vert. I decided to make it at Thanksgiving so other's would be around. The problem was nobody liked black licorice! And this drink tastes like black licorice with burning aftertaste (like the sensation you get after drinking straight vodka). We made one and passed it around - everyone took a sip. Unfortunately it didn't go over well as we all decided to keep drinking beer or wine.

Even though this drink was a dud, I'm glad I got the book. There are lots of other interesting recipes in there which I look forward to trying out next time I want to play mixologist.

Le Demon Vert

1 1/2 ounces Broker’s gin
1/2 ounce Absente
1/2 ounce Velvet Falernum
1/2 ounce fresh lime juice
1 black licorice stick

Combine 1 1/2 ounces of Broker's gin, 1/2 ounce of Absente, 1/2 ounce of Velvet Falernum and 1/2 ounce of fresh lime juice in an ice-filled shaker and shake until cold. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a black licorice stick.



No comments: