Thursday, November 15, 2007

#100: Bruleed Key Lime Tarts


My mom LOVES key lime pie. So she was nervously excited that I was going to make this recipe for Bruleed Key Lime Tarts which is listed as #100 on Food & Wine's 100 Tastes to Try in 2007. Nervous because it was not a traditional key lime pie and she like it. Excited because I was going to use the new tart pans and blow torch I just bought from Sur La Table. The recipe claims to take 3.5 hours to complete, even though only 25 minutes of that is working time. But it still takes half a day before you can eat it!

I thought that key limes and kaffir lime leaves would be hard to find, but luckily my local whole foods carries them both! I could take a bath in the kaffir lime leaves - they smell so good. Almost like citronella - VERY clean smelling.

I had never "bruleed" anything before so it wasn't until about the 3rd one that I figured out how to melt the sugar with the blowtorch. But the flavors of the oreo crust, rich key lime and crispy sugar were amazing! And the whole thing was fun to make. They are very impressive and would be great for company. These are big and rich so actually two people can share one.

Food & Wine claims that this is a cocktail friendly dessert and that one should pair this with an Elderflower Martini. Do you know what that is because I don't!


No comments: