Saturday, April 14, 2007

African Inspired Egg Sandwich


Another great recipe from Marcus Samuelsson's The Soul of a New Cuisine cookbook. I spent yesterday getting caught up on episodes of his show, Inner Chef, which I had recorded on Tivo. Marcus Samuelsson is a genius with seasonings.

An egg sandwich probably isn't the most glamorous recipe to make, but I really wanted to try this one just because it is Marcus Samuelsson's version. And also because I liked his story about egg sandwiches being breakfast street food in Africa. I made them for lunch, not breakfast.

I rarely make sandwiches. I firmly believe that I can get a much better sandwich at Quizno's than I can make. However this egg sandwich with all the fixing's, including the chili mayo that I made from scratch, was pretty impressive!
Egg Sandwiches
(4 servings)

Ingredients:
2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
1/4 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
1 small red onion, sliced
1 small red onion, cut into 1/4-inch diced
6 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons Chili Mayonnaise
1 baguette, split lengthwise and cut into quarters

Instructions:
Combine the tomatoes, lettuce, and sliced onion in a bowl. Set aside.

Whisk the eggs, diced onion, milk, chili powder, and salt together in a separate bowl. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large saute pan over high heat. Add half the egg mixture and stir until the eggs are set, then flip and cook on the other side until golden brown. Transfer to a warmed plate and repeat with the remaining eggs.

Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on the cut sides of the baguette. Divide the eggs in half, and put on the bottom halves of the bread. Top with the tomato, lettuce and onion and serve


No comments: