Sunday, January 25, 2009

Shrimp Veracruzana


Shrimp Veracruz is a standard at most Mexican restaurants. Of course there are so many other cheesy options, I rarely order it. I do like it though because it is light yet flavorful. I made this big batch and we just ate it with our forks, but it also is great to wrap up in tortillas if you have any on hand.

Shrimp Verzcruzana
Serves 4, about 1 cup each

2 tsp. canola oil
1 bay leaf
1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and very thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound peeled and deveined raw shrimp (16-20 per pound)
3 medium tomatoes, diced
¼ cup thinly sliced pitted green olived
1 lime, cut into 4 wedges

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add bay leaf and cook for 1 minute. Add onion, jalapenos and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in shrimp, cover and cook until pink and just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and olives. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium-ow, replace cover and cook until the tomatoes are almost broken down, 2 to 3 minutes more. Remove the bay leaf. Serve with lime wedges.


3 comments:

Treehouse Chef said...

This looks so delicious! I need to pick up eating well knowing that they have good recipes like this. I love "cuisine at home" magazine. The photos are great and the step by step instructions are awesome!

Kasey said...

Mmm, I love this. I have a similar recipe on my blog for red snapper. I just love those fresh flavors and great colors!

chow and chatter said...

looks fab like your blog rebecca