Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Kale-and-Avocado Salad


I never know what to do with kale. Last year I kept getting it my farmer's basket and always ended up throwing it out or giving it to my bird. I KNOW it's super healthy and I should incorporate into my diet, but I just haven't got there yet. Well, until this salad.

This recipe was on the same page in Food & Wine Magazine as the recipe for Strawberry-Almond Smoothie, which I had torn out. One day when I was flipping through all the recipes I had torn out of magazines, I read this one out of curiosity of what to do with kale. I was intrigued at the instruction to "knead the kale with salt" so I decided to try it.

So it ends up that I do like kale! Especially when it is smothered in avocado like in this salad. And I didn't realize it until I was preparing the salad, there really isn't any dressing. The avocado and lime juice serve as it, even though it is all mushed together. The end result is kind of like guacamole with an Asian twist (due to the sesame seeds).


Kale-and-Avocado Salad
1 serving

1 teaspoon sesame seeds
1 cup packed chopped kale leaves
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 Hass avocado, quartered
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/2 cup packed arugula leaves
1 small tomato, coarsely chopped
1 radish, diced
2 large pitted green olives, diced
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro

In a skillet, toast the sesame seeds over moderate heat. Transfer to a plate.

In a bowl, knead the kale with salt until it begins to wilt. Add the avocado and lime juice and mash until chunky. Add the arugula, tomato, radish, olives, cilantro and sesame seeds, toss gently and serve.


1 comment:

Treehouse Chef said...

I have been craving Kale and this looks yummy! Can't wait to try it.