Friday, July 11, 2008

Peruvian-Style Fried Rice


Jaden of Steamy Kitchen recently posted Meat Fried Rice - Four Ways which really got me thinking about how versatile fried rice can be. When I saw this recipe for Peruvian-Style Fried Rice in the May, 2008 issue of Every Day with Rachael Ray Magazine I knew I wanted to give it a try. Anything with shrimp and chorizo sounds good to me. This recipe takes a traditional Chinese dish and gives it a Latin spin.

One warning I have for you if you make this recipe is that a large skillet is simply not large enough. I used a large skillet and it was filled up with the onion, shrimp and chorizo. There was no room for the rice! I ended up using a large dutch oven and that worked out really well.

This recipe yields a HUGE quantity - I have enough for about 6 meals for myself here. The nice thing is that it reheats really well. But one can only eat so much of the same thing! The doggies are loving the fact that I have so much left over because they get it (it's not spicy, just a bit rich, but so far so good).
Peruvian-Style Fried Rice
Serves 6

Cooking spray
2 large eggs, beaten
3 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil
1 lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 cups chopped chorizo (about 8 oz.)
1 onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
4 cups cooked white rice, cooled
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 Tbsp. sherry
Chopped cilantro, for garnish

Heat a medium nonstick skillet over high heat and coat with cooking spray. Pour half of the eggs into the pan, swirling to coat the bottom, and let cook until set, about 1 minute. Remove the skillet from the heat, flip the eggs and cook for 1 minute more. Transfer the egg "tortilla" to a cutting board and repeat the process with the cooking spray and the remaining egg. Roll up each egg "tortilla" and slice crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick strips.

In a large skillet, heat the sesame oil over high heat. Add the shrimp, chorizo and onion and cook, stirring, until the shrimp is just opaque, 1 to 2 minutes. Mix in the rice, soy sauce and sherry. Cook until heated through. Stir in the egg strips and top with cilantro.


3 comments:

SteamyKitchen said...

YAY for meats!

Anonymous said...

Yummm!!! Chorizo and shrimps...I am going to love this!! trust me, there will not be much leftover for anyone : ). thanks for the recipe.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.