Sunday, February 15, 2009

Curried Cauliflower Soup


I'm afraid of cauliflower. Not to eat it of course, I love eating it. but to cut it. I just don't get it. It appears so solid and then when I do get the florets broken off they can crumble into a mess. But I think the concept of cauliflower soup is neat so tonight I decided to try and cut up a cauliflower. And you know what, it wasn't so bad. Since it was just going into soup I didn't need to figure out how to make bite sized pieces either.

The soup was pretty flavorful, but mine didn't turn out anywhere near as smooth as the one pictured in the magazine. It had that grittiness that always remains after a puree unless you add more liquid to it. I didn't mind the consistency though, in fact it the soup was quite hearty. And it might have been because I used the entire large cauliflower and did not measure to ensure it was only six cups.

Curried Cauliflower Soup
Serves 6

2 Tbsp. olive oil

1 small onion, chopped (1 cup)

1 medium tart apple, such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped (1 cup)

1 Tbsp. curry powder

1 clove garlic, sliced (1 tsp.)

1 large head cauliflower, chopped into 1-inch pieces (6 cups)

4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth

1 tsp. honey or agave nectar

1 tsp. rice wine vinegar

Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, and saute 5 to 7 minutes, or until soft and golden. Stir in apple, curry powder, and garlic, and cook 2 minutes more, or until curry powder turns deep yellow.

Add cauliflower and vegetable broth, and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes. Cool 20 minutes, then blend in food processor or blender until smooth. Stir in honey and vinegar, and season with salt, if desired.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks delicious!.Loved the idea of adding honey to it.

Neha said...

nice recipe, i'm a fan of cauliflower n can have it in any form..
Can send this to SWC:Soups, going on in my blog.., do check out..