Monday, February 16, 2009

Broiled Tofu with Spicy Mango Sauce


Well, I found out that I can't stand mustard greens. Actually, I didn't eve use mustard greens when making this, I used broccoli raab, a suggested substitution since I didn't think I would like mustard greens and I assumed broccoli raab would taste more like broccoli. So I would recommend not making this recipe in full unless you actually LIKE greens.

This recipe comes from the "Green Party" feature of the January, 2009 issue of Vegetarian Times. Like most people, I'm always trying to figure out new ways to get more dark, leafy greens into my diet. But obviously this one didn't work out for me.

Nasty greens aside, the tofu and mango sauce is really good. I like playing with new ways of preparing tofu and I have never broiled it before. The mango sauce was tasty. I ate it for dinner on top of the bed of mustard greens but had the tofu and sauce for lunch the next day with some green beans. The tofu I'd make again. But I don't think I'll be steaming broccoli raab anytime soon.

Broiled Tofu and Steamed Mustard Greens with Spicy Mango Sauce
Serves 8

2 Tbsp. canola oil
1 small onion, quartered and thinly sliced (½ cup)
1 small red bell pepper, coarsely chopped (½ cup)
¾ cup hot mango chutney, such as Patak's
1 medium tomato, coarsely chopped (¾ cup)
2 16-oz. pkgs. extra-firm tofu, drained and patted dry
1 12-oz. bunches mustard greens, thick stems removed

Heat oil in medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper, cover, and cook 10 to 15 minutes, or until vegetables are soft, stirring occasionally. Stir in mango chutney and tomato. Cover, and simmer 5 minutes more. Keep warm.

Preheat oven to broil, and place over rack in highest position. Coat baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Halve each tofu block crosswise to make pieces the size of thickness of sandwich bread. Cut each tofu piece into 4 triangles. Brush each tofu triangle on both sides with mango mixture (it's OK if some bell pepper and onion bits stick to tofu); season with salt and pepper, if desired; and place on prepared baking sheet. Broil 4 to 5 minutes. Flip triangles, and brush with more mango mixture. Broil 4 to 5 minutes more, or until brown and crispy.

Meanwhile, bring 1 cup water to a boil in large pot. Add mustard greens, cover, and steam 5 to 7 minutes or until greens are crisp-tender, turning occasionally with tongs to make sure greens cook evenly.

Divide mustard green among serving plates. Top each serving with 2 tofu triangles, and drizzle with ¼ cup mango sauce.


1 comment:

Sophie said...

This looks so good with the sauce, I'm always looking for new ways to prepare tofu, my husband is a big fan!