Saturday, October 13, 2007

Baked Shrimp and Feta


I know I just made something from the October issue of Every Day with Rachael Ray magazine, but when I saw this recipe for Baked Shrimp with Feta I just HAD to make it. And I'm so glad I did. I served it tonight to my mother and sister and their guys - all gave it rave reviews. It was even suggested as a dish to prepare for our next dinner party . . .

Baked Shrimp and Feta
6 to 8 servings

2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
Juice of 1 lemon, plus wedges for serving
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 onions, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 cup tomato puree
2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves, chopped
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper
1/2 pound feta cheese, crumbled
Instructions
Preheat the oven to 350°. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the shrimp with the lemon juice and arrange in a single layer. Set aside.

In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, tomato puree, oregano, bay leaf and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.

Discard the bay leaf and pour the sauce over the shrimp; sprinkle the feta on top. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, then place under the broiler until the feta is lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve with the lemon wedges.


4 comments:

Deborah said...

I found a lot of recipes in this Rachael Ray issue that I want to try!! This sounds phenomenal!

Kalyn Denny said...

This sounds easy and good!

Julie said...

I've been doing a shrimp and feta dish for years that I learned in a Mediterranean cooking class. It's sort of similar, but mine is just quickly braised...no baking. I love the strange combo of seafood and cheese. That artichoke dish looks great as well.

Anonymous said...

I have made this dish countless times! Everyone loves it, now I have to make it for every family gathering, I also serve it with fresh bread (Bagette) :)