Saturday, October 13, 2007

Anginares Me Araka (Stewed Artichokes and Peas)


I finally made something from my Modern Greek cookbook. I wanted to find a vegetable side dish I could serve with the Baked Shrimp with Feta, so I chose Anginares Me Araka which is Stewed Artichokes and Peas.

I'm not sure this dish goes well with the Shrimp and Feta, but I thought it was excellent. I have a bunch left over and I think it will be good cold as a light lunch tomorrow. The flavors are excellent. My mother thought the peas were over-cooked since they weren't bright green, but I like the softness of them with the artichokes (it is supposed to be a stewed dish after all).

This recipe calls for both fresh shelled peas and artichoke hearts - I used neither. I bought organic artichoke hears in the can and a bag frozen organic peas from the freezer section. It might have been better if all were fresh, but I thought it was tasty as is. This dish might go really well as a side dish for a roast or even as a vegetarian option as part of a buffet.

Anginares Me Araka
Stewed Artichokes and Peas
(servers 4)

8 fresh artichoke hearts with stems trimmed, quartered
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 medium-sized yellow onion, peeled and sliced
1 garlic clove, peeled and finely diced
6 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
3 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh mint
1 pound fresh peas, shelled
Salt
Freshly ground pepper

Instructions:
Place the artichoke hearts in a bowl of acidulated water until ready to use. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and saute the onion and garlic for 10 minutes or until softened. Add the tomatoes and mint and simmer for another 10 minutes. Add the peas and drained artichokes and continue to cook, stirring well, for 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add enough water to just cover the mixture and simmer for 20 minutes or until the sauce has thickened. Serve either hot or cold.


3 comments:

Sunshine said...

Just what I needed for lunch today! Thanks for the "permisson" to use canned artichokes... which I had on hand.
We skipped the tomatoes in the recipe because vegetables in the nightshade family make the end my nose swell up so I look like an alcoholic.
But the recipe worked fine that way. One person here even added organic onion soup from a box to her serving and was pleased with the result.

Brilynn said...

I like artichokes but I'm never quite sure what to do with them, this sounds great!

Rachael Narins said...

This sounds like a totally delish dish!