Thursday, November 11, 2010

Broccoli Raab, Sicilian Style


Well, this confirms it. I only like broccoli raab in soups. I have tried several times because I am trying to "eat more green leafy vegetables", but the taste is too strong for me. Or maybe I'm still not doing it right. I had hope for this recipe, but the flavor was still too overpowering. However, I do want to try this with regular broccoli and also spinach! I think tomatoes and fennel seeds are amazing together so I'm sure this would be great if I like the greens. But it's simple to make and smells great while cooking so if you like broccoli raab I hope you give this one a try.

Broccoli Raab, Sicilian Style
Serves 4

2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
5 cloves garlic, sliced
1 chopped tomato, or 12 halved cherry tomatoes
1 tsp. fennel seeds
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 big bunch (16 oz.) broccoli raab
Sea salt, for sprinkling

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, tomato, fennel seeds, and red pepper flakes. Stir frequently for a few minutes, until the tomatoes soften and the garlic is golden but not burned.

Blanch, then drain the broccoli raab. Add to skillet - careful, it splatters - and sprinkle with sea salt.

Cover, and cook about 3 minutes, then toss again to cook evenly. Cover, and continue cooking for another minute or two.

Taste for doneness; it's ready when tender to your preference.

Nutritional information as published in magazine:
Per 1-cup serving: 107 Cal; 4 G Prot; 7 G Total Fat (<1 G Sat Fat); 7 G Carg; 0 MG Chol; 231 MG Sod; 3 G Fiber; 2 G Sugars



No comments: