Thursday, October 7, 2010

Creamy Cauliflower Soup with Apple and Tarragon


I like the concept of using cauliflower in soup. It's a filling vegetable that can be blended for a creamy soup. But unfortunately this recipe for Creamy Cauliflower Soup with Apple and Tarragon found in the September, 2010 issue of Vegetarian Times did not work for me. However, some of you may like it. It ends up that I don't really like sweeter soups (from the apple) and I don't really like tarragon.

The process for making this soup was very simple. The instructions say to blend the ingredients and I did so with my immersion blender. And actually that did not work that well. I kept blending and blending and finally I poured it all into the blender and it was pureed in only a few minutes.

I have not given up on cauliflower as a soup yet though! I hope to find something with stronger spices next time.

Creamy Cauliflower Soup with Apple and Tarragon
Serves 4

5 cups chopped cauliflower florets (1 lb.)
1 1/2 cups unsweetened apple juice
1 1/4 cups reduced-sodium vegetable
1 small onion, diced (1 cup)
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
2 tsp. chopped fresh tarragon, plus more for garnish
1 pinch ground tumeric

Bring cauliflower, apple juice, broth, onion, and coriander to a boil in saucepan over medium heat. Cover, and simmer 15 minutes, or until tender.

Blend cauliflower mixture, tarragon, and tumeric in blender until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Garnish with tarragon.

Nutritional information provided with magazine article:
Per 1-cup serving: 100 CAL; 3 G PROT; <1 G TOTAL FAT (<1G SAT FAT); 22 G CARB; 0 MG CHOL; 89 MG SOD; 4 G FIBER; 14 G SUGARS



1 comment:

Alexis said...

I made this the other day, and I used mustard powder and garlic and tumeric to season, no tarragon. Just saying, mine might have been less sweet? I was a fan, and am not generally a fan of the sweet soups.