Thursday, September 9, 2010

Spinach-Zucchini Soup


I made a batch of the Spinach-Zucchini Soup so I could have something healthy to take for work lunches during the week. I didn't have that much hope for this recipe which I found in Vegetarian Times magazine because it seemed sort of plain from the recipe list. However, I was pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed the mint and lemon flavors. And I'm not a big fan of lemon so that was even nicer. The soup is actually filling and refreshing.

I used a can of butter beans instead of cannellini beans. I thought the butter beans were a bit to large for the soup and they kind of fell apart over time. But it all tasted good together.

Spinach-Zucchini Soup
Serves 6

1 1/2 Tbs. olive oil
1 large onion, diced (2 cups)
1 medium zucchini, cut into 3/4-inch pieces (2 cups)
2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups cooked white beans, such as cannellini, or 1 15-oz. can white beans, rinsed and drained
4 cups baby spinach (4 oz.)
2 Tbs. lemon juice
2 tsp. grated lemon zest
4 tsp. finely chopped mint leaves

Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté onion 3 to 5 minutes, or until translucent. Add zucchini, and cook 8 minutes more, or until vegetables are well browned. Add vegetable broth and 2 cups water, and bring to a boil. Stir in beans and spinach, and return to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 5 minutes, or until spinach is wilted. Stir in lemon juice, zest, and mint. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.


No comments: