Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Cod with Tomato Cream Sauce


Finally, a fool proof way to make fish! I have been missing the mark the last twenty or so times I made fish. I usually bake it or broil it and I either over or under do it. But this recipe calls for poaching in a savory sauce and the fish came out perfectly cooked and incredibly tasty! And what's nice about this is that it's really quick to put together - except for pulling off the fresh thyme leaves from the stems.

I serve this with farro, due to the suggestion in the magazine. And I'm so glad I tried it because it is now my favorite grain and I make it quite often.

Cod with Tomato Cream Sauce
Serves 4

1-1¼ pounds Pacific cod or tilapia fillets, cut into 4 pieces
3 tsp. chopped fresh thyme, divided
½ tsp. salt, divided
¼ tsp. freshly ground pepper
1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 shallot, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
¾ cup white wine
1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
¼ cup heavy cream or half and half
½ tsp. cornstarch

Season fish with 1 teaspoon thyme, ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallot, garlic and 1 teaspoon thyme; cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, about 1 minute. Add wine, tomatoes and the fish to the pan; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until the fish is cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfre the fish to a large plate; keep warm.

Whisk cream and cornstarch in a small bowl. Add to the pan, along with the remaining 1 teaspoon thyme and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Divide the fish and sauce among 4 shallow bowls.


1 comment:

Anh said...

Thanks for sharing this simple meal with us!! I gotta try farro as well,