Saturday, March 28, 2009

Crushed Potatoes with Olive Oil, Parmesan and Basil


I got the New Scottish Cookery: 160 New and Traditional Recipes Using the Best Produce from Scotland cookbook when I was in Scotland this past September and have not had a chance to make anything from it until now. I know smashed potatoes aren't all that original, but these are really great. The fresh herbs really make it pop. These are so easy to make and can be an impressive staple for any Sunday meal.

Crushed Potatoes with Olive Oil, Parmesan and Basil
Serves 4

1 lb. new potatoes, scrubbed
Freshly ground sea salt
Freshly ground pepper
5 Tbsp olive oil
3 Tbsp roughly chopped fresh basil leaves
1 oz. Parmesan cheese, shaved

Cool the potatoes in simmering, salted water until tender. Drain and place in a large mixing bowl. Add the oil and, with the back of a fork, gently crush each potato until it just splits. Season, then add the basil and Parmesan. Mix carefully until all the oil has been absorbed. Don't overwork it or you'll lose the texture.

You can serve the potatoes in a pile or use a 3-inch scone cutter to shape them into nice little cakes.

The mixture can be made in advance and cooled, and then reheated as potato cakes. Put them on an oiled baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, until golden brown on top.



Love is all around you...

- Rachel

Twitter: @RachelRubin
Connect with me on Facebook
Visit me on Google+
Network on LinkedIn
Watch me (or my pets) on YouTube
Eat with me on Yelp




2 comments:

Dazy said...

I'm making this tonight. I think I'll try to shoot it, but I don't think it will be as pretty as your picture!

Rachel Cotterill said...

That sounds like such a great variant on mashed potato. We usually either mash in some garlic, or else we top it with leeks & cheese and grill it.